Overcoming an addiction to opioids extends beyond ceasing use of a particular substance or substances. Since the causes for addictive behaviors lay deeply imbedded within an individual, he or she must work to address and treat the underlying causes of such behaviors. By incorporating individual therapy into patients’ treatment plans, those struggling with opioid addictions are able to work through the various factors that may have aided in the development of their addictions. This therapeutic method involves patients meeting with a counselor on a one-on-one basis in order to progress in his or her treatment, and can provide an individual with the following benefits:
- Recognizing past traumatic events that may have contributed to the abuse of opioids
- Developing new viewpoints relating to the apparent and potential underlying causes of addiction
- Creating new and healthy skills for handling stressful situations or emotions
- Appropriately handling setbacks and/or victories during the course of treatment
- Developing techniques for handling situations in which drug use may be tempting
- Forming new personal goals for both the present as well as the future
By understanding one’s own emotions and behaviors, a patient is able to gain a deeper understanding as to why he or she turned to opioid use in the first place. In doing this, a person can ultimately progress towards a future that is substance free. Individual therapy also provides patients with a safe environment in which to openly discuss their feelings and emotions with a counselor who is specially trained in the fields of addiction and recovery.
In addition, patients who take part in individual therapy will most likely experience the following throughout the therapeutic process:
- An increase in self-confidence
- Enhanced self-esteem
- A reduction in stress levels
- An increased sense of self-awareness
Western North Carolina Comprehensive Treatment Centers believes that individual therapy plays a fundamental role in lasting recovery from addictions to prescription medications and heroin. When patients are able to openly communicate their emotions and experiences in a safe environment with a trained counselor, they are provided with the opportunity to progress toward long-term recovery.
Western North Carolina Comprehensive Treatment Centers are here to provide patients with the highest quality of comprehensive treatment to aid in overcoming an addiction to opioids. By addressing their addictive behaviors on an emotional level through the use of individual therapy, patients are able to prepare for future situations in a healthy and opioid-free manner.
If you or someone you love would benefit from the comprehensive treatment available through our centers, please contact us today. We are here to help you take the first steps towards a future free from the dangers of addiction.