Individuals who are trapped in a cycle of addiction are faced with behavioral, emotional, physical, and psychological struggles that must be properly treated in order for true recovery to be achieved. Group therapy sessions provided by Western North Carolina Comprehensive Treatment Centers play a valuable role in the progression of treatment for individuals who are striving to recover from opioid addictions.
This form of therapy involves multiple patients taking part in a singular session. Typically, these sessions are led by one of our qualified counselors, although in some instances multiple counselors may be present. Like individual therapy, the goal of group therapy is to pinpoint and treat the underlying emotional and behavioral factors that may have contributed to the addiction in the first place. Additional factors such as a history of abuse, mood disorders, and self-esteem issues can contribute in the development of an addiction.
Group therapy provides patients with a safe environment in which to openly discuss these issues. The effectiveness of group therapy is directly due to the counselor who is leading the session as well as the patients who are sharing their emotions and insights. The following are the core goals and values of group therapy:
- Universality – Easing the feelings of loneliness by emphasizing the common feelings and experiences among members of the group
- Self-understanding – Obtaining insight into one’s own problems by listening to other group members openly share their progression and challenges in the recovery process
- Interpersonal learning – Learning from the insights and experiences of other group members while being able to openly communicate one’s own perceptions and insights
- Altruism – Seeing the value of aiding in the improvement of others’ lives
- Hope – Realizing the other members of the group may have overcome challenges that one may be currently experiencing
- Information – Learning more about the disease of addiction as well as the process of recovery
- Imitative behavior – Developing new techniques and strategies by noting the positive behaviors of the counselor as well as other group members
- Cohesiveness – Feeling a sense of fitting in, purpose, and support by navigating the therapeutic process with other individuals
- Catharsis – Experiencing a sense of relief from openly sharing one’s own emotions and experiences
Western North Carolina Comprehensive Treatment Centers value the importance of group therapy when utilized within a comprehensive medication assisted treatment program. By providing patients with a productive and supportive environment in which to openly share their feelings, experiences, and points of view, individual patients are able to share and receive support and encouragement from their peers.
While there is no singular cure for addiction, comprehensive treatment provides patients with the highest chance of obtaining lasting recovery. Group therapy allows patients to successfully progress in their treatment towards a life free from the chains of addiction.
If you or someone you care about would benefit from group therapy as well as the other treatment options available through Western North Carolina Comprehensive Treatment Centers, please contact us today.